So finally done, here is my Animals quiet book.
This page, being the cover, isn't as interactive as the other pages, but the bunny ears can be moved around. (Sorry for the out of focus picture).
Except for the zigzag stitch around the outside, all of the sewing and embroidering was done by hand.
In addition to the animals in the book, there is some sort of plant, and a bug on every page--on this page, flowers, and a bee.
A major inspiration for this project, was this Nursery Rhyme book, that I own, as well as similar ones I had checked out from the library, where the illustrations are made out of fabric. A few of my animals I think I even traced from this book.
There are several reasons this project took me so long, besides all the hand stitching and sewing. I had a whole lot of ideas I wanted to put into this book, and kept thinking up new pages before making any. I still have ideas for more animals I would like to do, and have even drawn out a few additional designs, but decided to finish what I had first. I obviously didn't work on it consistently. Other things took priority and it sat in a box for quite a while. I also didn't quite know how to finish it--to put all the pages together. I wanted it to be like a book, but I wanted the pages to be able to separate, to spread out or to share. And since I have more ideas for pages, I wanted to be able to add on to it if I so desire later on. Instead of sewing the pages back to back, I just put a bit of velcro on the edge to hold them together as a book, but they can be easily pulled apart. (Hope that makes sense).
I put button holes on the pages to put binder rings through. Sewing button holes is always a bit intimidating to me, so I procrastinated that for a bit, but they turned out fine. I even had a couple binder rings on hand to use.
Come back tomorrow to see the next page!